Call me Ishmael
How to Reset the Nickname and Automatic Completion Cache
Microsoft Outlook maintains a nickname list that is used by both the automatic name checking and the automatic completion features. The nickname list is automatically generated as you use Outlook.
If the nickname cache is corrupted, Outlook may not be able to identify recipients, may offer incorrect recipients when automatically completing the e-mail address, or may send the message to the wrong person. You may also, just want to reset the whole list.
- Quit Outlook.
- Start Windows Explorer.
- On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
- Under Advanced Settings, click to select the Show hidden files and folders check box.
- Click OK.
- Click Start, point to Search, and then click For Files or Folders.
- In the Search for Files or Folders box, type *.NK2 in the File Name box.
- In the Look In box, click to select your local hard disk.
- Click Search Now.
- Right-click the .NK2 file with the name of the profile that you want to reset, and then click Rename.
- Rename the file to yourname.bak, and then press ENTER.
- Quit Windows Explorer.
- Restart Outlook.
Knowlegebase Article 287623
See all Topics