Select and Add
In Excel an instant answer is displayed on the Status bar, when a series of numbers is selected.
If you would like to calculate lists or columns of numbers in Word, look at ToolsCalculate. It will display the answer AND let you paste the result in your document.
ToolsCalculate can be added to a menu or tool bar. Pre-2007, it is available through Tools>Customize.
- On the Commands tab, select All Commands in the Category list, then scroll down the Commands list until you find ToolsCalculate.
- Drag it to the menu bar and hover the mouse over "Tools" until the Tools menu drops down.
- Drop Tools Calculate somewhere on the menu or drop it on a toolbar.
- Close the Customize box.
This is left over from the halcyon days of Word 2.0 when Woody Leonard and Ed Bott were but children.
- Type the numbers you want to calculate, along with the appropriate mathematical operators.
Word can calculate numbers in a line, in a column or row in a table, or in a column separated from other columns with tabs. Word can also calculate numbers interspersed throughout the text in one or more paragraphs if you include a space on either side of each number.
- Select the numbers and operators.
- From the Tools menu, choose Calculate.
Word calculates the result and displays it for a few seconds in the status bar. The result is stored on the Clipboard.
- To insert the result into your document, position the insertion point and choose Paste from the Edit menu (CTRL+V) or click the Paste button on the Toolbar.
- Click the Office logo
- Go to Word Options on the bottom of the box.
- Go to Customize.
- Select All Commands and find Calculate.
See all Topics