In Excel 2007+. the number of levels of the "undo stack" was increased from 16 levels to 100.
Setting AutoFilters, showing/hiding detail in PivotTables, and grouping/ungrouping in PivotTables are now reversible.
And the undo stack is not cleared when Excel saves, be it an AutoSave or a Save by the user.
If you think the number of undos should be changed, here's how:
- Close any programs that are running.
- Click Start, click Run, type regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
- In Registry Editor, expand one of the following registry subkeys, as appropriate for the version of Excel that you are running:
Microsoft Office Excel 2010
Microsoft Office Excel 2007 uses Office\12.0\
Microsoft Office Excel 2003 uses Office\11.0\
Microsoft Excel 2002 uses Office\10.0\
Microsoft Excel 2000 uses Office\9.0\
- On the Edit menu, point to New, and then click DWORD Value. Select New Value #1, type UndoHistory, and then press ENTER.
- On the Edit menu, click Modify.
- In the Edit DWORD Value dialog box, click Decimal under Base. Type a value between 0 and 100 in the Value box, click OK, and then exit Registry Editor.
- Start Excel. Excel stores an undo history for the number of actions that you specified in step 6.
Modify the number of undo levels
If you want to clear the undo stack, just run a macro such as:
Sub ClearUndo() Range("A1").Copy Range("A1") End Sub
Clearing the Undo stack
See all Topics